Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The new engine mount does not fit our cub

The new engine mount does not fit our cub 2 weeks 6 days ago #909

• rooster
  • Thank you received: 1
I've got a J-3 Cub and am replacing the engine mount. After taking the old engine mount off I noticed that all 4 of the motor mount / boot cowling brackets have been either cut and welded at an angle or just bent so the mount will fit against the fire wall... and at the same time clear the 'lip' in the fire wall / skin to avoid rubbing where the riveted exterior skin and fire wall are joined.

The boot cowl brackets are straight and do not clear the area where the riveted exterior skin and fire wall are joined.

Seems like there are three options:
1. Cut the skin back to allow for the straight brackets to align as sent from the factory.
2. Have the engine mount brackets cut and welded (or bend?) to allow for the skin/fire wall joint.
3. Find another manufacture of engine mounts that account for this situation.
Two photos show my engine mount... the other is a cub that has the mount wall an exterior skin lapped over into the firewall... which would accommodate
2018-10-2418.58.45.jpg

2018-10-2512.41.15.jpg

2018-10-2713.20.49.jpg

the new mount.
What do you think?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The new engine mount does not fit our cub 2 weeks 1 day ago #910

The third photo looks like the normal setup to me. The crimped edge fastened to the front side of the firewall is as I remember the way Piper built them. Your boot cowl that extends forward of the firewall doesn't look original to me. Any reason why you couldn't just trim it back even with the firewall? Are there any Cubs in your area that you could take a look at? Should make it easier to decide what to do if you see an original cowling installation.
Good Luck, Bill
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds