Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1946 J3 pitot tube angle?

1946 J3 pitot tube angle? 1 month 3 weeks ago #896

• dldihs
Hello,
I just got my cub back from annual and I noticed that the pitot appears to be at a considerably different angle from the oncoming wind at level flight attitude. Perhaps this is normal but I think I recall it was relatively aligned with the slipstream in level flight. I have searched online and though the cub assembly and rigging manuals and have found nothing at all that defines this angle. I also noticed that the indicated airspeed is low by about 7 mph based on 2 way GPS as compared to before.
Does anyone have any authoritative information that sets its angle relative to either the under surface of the wing at the jury strut station or to the jury strut leading edge?
Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

1946 J3 pitot tube angle? 1 week 1 hour ago #904

dldihs wrote:
Hello,
I just got my cub back from annual and I noticed that the pitot appears to be at a considerably different angle from the oncoming wind at level flight attitude. Perhaps this is normal but I think I recall it was relatively aligned with the slipstream in level flight. I have searched online and though the cub assembly and rigging manuals and have found nothing at all that defines this angle. I also noticed that the indicated airspeed is low by about 7 mph based on 2 way GPS as compared to before.
Does anyone have any authoritative information that sets its angle relative to either the under surface of the wing at the jury strut station or to the jury strut leading edge?
Thanks![/quote

Good question. Never thought about it.

It seems the pitot tube should be aligned parallel with the bottom of the wing. That's the airspeed that generates the low pressure area on top of the wing where our lift is generated.

Check out www.xxx.com/watch?v=iZWtCW4sXc0 which I haven't studied prior to this post.

Note: xxx refers to "ebutuoy" (backwards). The page will go crazy if typed forwards..
Last Edit: 1 week 1 hour ago by donaldghenderson@msn.com.

1946 J3 pitot tube angle? 6 days 13 hours ago #905

• dldihs
Thank you Donald. I am familiar with that stuff but wish I had the drawing for the left hand forward jury strut or the pitot installation. I suspect that one of those drawings likely has a specific alignment defined.

1946 J3 pitot tube angle? 4 days 23 hours ago #906

Let's move this to the telephone.
Email me your number.
Last Edit: 4 days 22 hours ago by donaldghenderson@msn.com.
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds