Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The new (to me) 42" flexible antennas.

The new (to me) 42" flexible antennas. 2 months 2 weeks ago #890

• kschmitt
  • Thank you received: 1
Does anyone have exprience mounting one of the new 42" flexible antennas in a cub. I hve the manufactuers info and am opting for the behind the seat location. Any information would be appreciated. The antenna is made by Advanced Aircraft Electronics.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The new (to me) 42" flexible antennas. 2 months 1 week ago #892

I installed one in another type aircraft, similar to a Cub. Just used a wooden slat of appropriate size as suggested in the manufacturer's instructions. Attached with Adel clamps where necessary. Fixed the antenna to the slat with a few wraps of electrical tape and a couple of tie wraps. An experienced avionics technician said the installation looked good to him.

The new (to me) 42" flexible antennas. 2 months 19 hours ago #893

• johnhofmann
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 7
How does it work? Might make a good article for Cub Clues. I have one in the shop we may but this on but I won't be to that point until later in the fall.

The new (to me) 42" flexible antennas. 2 months 17 hours ago #894

I had read various comments on the pros and cons of these antennas. So I tried one in the aft fuselage of a Taylorcraft BC12D. Installed in accordance with the manufacturers instructions. It worked, but not as well as I had hoped. I replaced it with a conventional antenna in the same location in the fuselage, with a ground plane. This works, but I still suspect an external antenna would function better. The aircraft structure seems to affect the radio signal. For instance, flying directly toward the station decreases reception compared to flying at right angles to the station. These are just my observations so far. And I readily admit to a very limited understanding of anything electronic. It's all pretty much magic to me.
Bill

The new (to me) 42" flexible antennas. 2 months 7 hours ago #895

• kschmitt
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the reply. I'm still expermenting with it. With the flat side fore and aft it only picks up when facing 90 degrees to either side. I am trying it turned so it should transmit and receive heading to or from a station. if this doesn't work well enough will put in a ground plate and go to a conventional whip antenna. Time will tell.

The new (to me) 42" flexible antennas. 1 month 2 weeks ago #897

• madhatter
Put one in mine behind the baggage compartment. Works well, a little weak on the nose but mostly when using an AWOS station which have weak transmit signals anyway. Great antenna, sure beats having an ugly external antenna.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds